Sunday 11 September 2011

Pop goes the poetic!

During a trip down music’s memory lane; calling at all stations, including Billy Joel; Elton John and Blondie (well, mixed metaphors are in keeping with this, so please stick with it!), the following lyrical incongruities emerged…

Billy Joel (Just the Way You Are)..... ‘I don’t want clever conversation, I never want to work that hard, I just want someone that I can talk to, I want you just the way you are’….surely, this fairly translates as ‘I’ll stick with you because you’re too thick to answer back’ (great tune though Billy!)

Blondie (Picture This)...... ‘I will give  you my finest hour, the one I spent watching you shower’...…..flaming peroxide!...their water bill must be astronomical and then there's the electricity to consider!

The Real Thing (You to me are Everything)  ‘So now you’ve got the best of me, come on and take the rest of me'...  clearly a thrilling voyage of discovery ahead, for the object of someone's affection

Further to this, Elton may guess that’s why they call it the blues, but I wish he’d let us in on the secret, ’cause  I must have heard it a hundred times and I’m none the wiser. 

As for 'More than Words' by Extreme... ‘Saying I love you is not the words I want to hear from you’… and further on….'More than words is all you have to do…’...well, I don't mean to be pedantic, but that’s just bad grammar, isn’t it?

Anyway, for lyrics that actually mean something, I refer readers to John Lennon's Imagine and Spandau Ballet's Through the Barricades.

No comments: